News:

If you want to report a bug 🐞 please contact dpost@mvc.on.ca

Main Menu

GOES Hopper Task Discussion

Started by SteveWKISTERS, November 02, 2017, 02:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveWKISTERS

Hi everyone,

Just to follow up on our previous discussion...

It seems like the Western hub is using KiDAT to pull GOES Hopper data. I know for fact this is being done for a series of rain gauges, so unless there's a discrepancy between the precip parameter and others, this should be possible. The current approach is using the DCP toolkit to gather the data.

Example Script is attached. This is confirmed to work on GOES Hopper Rain gauges.

Steve with Kisters

LLambert

I downloaded this task and had a look at it.  I'm not quite clear as to how it collects data from the GOES Hopper and how I'm to edit it to make it work with my GOES Hoppers. (Please see attached images)
Clarification and/or assistance please? @SteveWKISTERS @cmcguire
Thank you,
Lynette

SteveWKISTERS

Hi Lynette,

I talked to Mark about this and he thought that this task goes straight to the source of the data, before it heads to GOES? If that makes sense. He did confirm that these are GOES Hopper gauges, but we're both a little fuzzy on how the data is being collected.

It looks like to me that the task is identifying stations and parameters to call just as it would with any other GOES data calls. Why don't we set some time up next week to compare an original GOES task with the HOPPER GOES task?

Steve with KISTERS

LLambert

The groundwater (PGMN) GOES Hoppers don't have any parameter codes, so I'm just not sure how this task would work.
Could be just me though.

cmcguire

mjones

@cmcguire, maybe I would have to play around with it. Where would I add this task, to the one we remote connect to on WISKI or one that would be on my regular desktop?

SteveWKISTERS

If you're just looking to play around with it, the location doesn't matter. If you find a solution that works and everyone wants to start calling their gauges with it, we could move it to the KiDAT server.

Steve with KISTERS

cmcguire

Our summer student Andrew came up with this technique to get the FTS Hopper data through KiDAT.  Let me know if this works for your applications.
@massimo.narini @LLambert

LLambert

Thank you @cmcguire  ...will making this change on the GOES Hopper have an affect on the way MECP accesses this data?  We did receive an email from them to not make any alterations to the formatting.

cmcguire

I'm not sure, we only have one Hopper and it's not polled by MECP..

massimo.narini

For anyone following this topic, I was able to modify the original task that Steve sent (MVCA_Goes_DIRECT_HopperExample.tsk ) and made it work with our PGMN wells that are operational using the new Hoppers!

I have added it on the master KiDAT task list on the server (PGMN Hopper GOES Task). For now, it is a shared task, but I would think this can be something that everyone will get their own version of due to the large number of stations that have the potential to be polled through it. It will need to be a different task than the already used GOES tasks.

The weird thing that I needed to do was to tell KiDAT that HG was parameter 4 and TW was parameter 3, even if they were not under those columns in the transmission and it is up and working now.

If there is anyone that would like this task or would like me to add their stations to it that do not have access to the master list, please email me!

Massimo Narini, M.Sc | WISKI Database Management Analyst
Quinte Conservation
MNarini@quinteconservation.ca
Phone: (613) 968-3434  ext 122